Pro Bono Clinics
SABA-NC is a voluntary bar association that provides legal information and resources through these two free legal clinics, seminars, and other efforts. However, SABA-NC does not provide direct legal representation or guarantee that we can provide a legal referral. If you need legal assistance, please visit one of our legal clinics or contact the California State Bar's legal referral service.
Please be aware that (i) your e-mail to us will not create an attorney-client relationship with us and (ii) we have no duty to keep confidential any information that you send us without our expressed authorization. Our transmission and your viewing of this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the South Asian Bar Association of Northern California. DO NOT SEND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION.
Pro Bono Clinics
The Pro Bono Committee runs legal clinics at the India Community Center (ICC) in Milpitas and the Columbia Neighborhood Center in Sunnyvale. Legal Clinics are held from 10 am to 12 pm as per the schedule listed below. We do not take appointments, but rather have a sign-up sheet at each clinic.
Columbia Neighborhood Center
785 Morse Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94087
India Community Center
525 Los Coches St, Milpitas, CA 95035
Fourth Sunday of Every Month
Benefits Of Volunteering
Attorneys: By volunteering just a few hours a month, you can directly assist community members who otherwise have limited access to legal services due to financial restrictions. No special training is required, and any California-licensed attorney can volunteer. Immigration attorneys who are both licensed and not licensed to practice in California are welcome to volunteer. Volunteers will be given the necessary materials, tools and training to effectively provide legal assistance and direct community members to the appropriate legal resources. Often, what may seem like basic legal knowledge to you can lead to the efficient resolution of a legal problem when shared with a community member. The success of the legal clinics depends on support from a solid network of attorneys.
Law Students, Law Graduates, or Non-CA Licensed Attorneys: You would be partnered with an experienced attorney and be exposed to various areas of law. While you won't be able to provide legal advise, you can assist attorney volunteers with intake and coordination. We can also use your help with marketing and outreach.
The SABA-NC Civil Rights Committee collaborates with allied community and legal organizations to respond to civil rights issues of relevance to the South Asian community, and more specifically South Asian lawyers.
hate Crime Victims
If you have been the victim of a hate crime please e-contact us through our webpage or at civilrights at southasianbar.org and we will do our best to put you in touch with additional resources.
Civil Rights Incidents
Civil Rights Resources
Below we have collected resources to assist lawyers and victims who may want to learn more about the immigration and civil rights issues. SABA-NC will also be preparing several trainings. While we're sharing these resources, we have not thoroughly vetted them yet so please do your own due diligence.
- For Attorneys:
- OneJustice is organizing a number of trainings organizing needs for pro bono involvement, and other opportunities for attorneys regarding immigration issues. To sign up for communications regarding their programming, please click here.
- For Everyone (including attorneys):
- The National Immigration Law Center has compiled materials that will help you Know Your Rights on immigration issues that may be helpful for both attorneys and community members alike and are accessible here.
Donations to Relief Organizations
For those SABA-NC members, and others, who wish to donate to organizations assisting US refugees and other affected by the recent Executive Orders enacted with respect to immigration, please see below for a list of organizations delivering such assistance.
- International Rescue Committee (IRC): Emergency Appeal: Help refugees in the U.S. now.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): General Donation Link. Please note that while the ACLU is actively fighting the recent Executive Orders, the foregoing link is a general donation to the ACLU.
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center (IRLC): General Donation Link.
- The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR): General Donation Link.